Skip Navigation.

There She Goes

Friday, January 20th, 2006

Quote of the Day: “Young men, never give up! Never give up! Never give up! Never, never, never, never.”

- Winston Churchill

I blog a lot about pain, mainly associated with my running. But today I experienced another kind of pain and to a degree that is only a taste of what’s to come.

My little girl went away for the weekend on a church retreat.

And I miss her.

Carrie laughs at me because I don’t pay enough attention to the kids but when they leave, my heart sinks. She told me this would happen and now she tells me that she told me it would happen which doesn’t make things any easier.

You see, Steph is still my bald-headed baby girl (a term of endearment I use quite often and that she rolls her eyes at, pulling at her long hair to show me this is no longer the case.)

But…

She no longer hugs me in public.

She no longer holds my hand in public.

She no longer kisses me in public.

So I mope around when she leaves, despite my wife’s insistence that she’d just be up in her room and I’d be on my computer ignoring her.

I know that some day this will reverse itself and she will once again hug me, hold my hand, and kiss me in public. But by then, she will be gone more than she is with me and I don’t look forward to that. Yes, I will be one of those miserable souls who miss their children and bemoan the fact to anyone and everyone within whining distance.

But every once in awhile, she caves and cuddles up to me. I sit perfectly still, afraid that any movement will burst this tender bubble and she will scurry off like a sleeping cat that’s been disturbed.

I miss my baby and this is just the beginning.

Free Advice for Today: “Tell your kids often how terrific they are and that you trust them.”

- H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

16 Comments - Join in the conversation below

1. Awwww :)

Comment by Crystal — January 26, 2006 @ 12:20 am

2. Why you gotta make me cry and ruin my perfectly applied make-up?

Comment by Killjoy — January 26, 2006 @ 11:34 am

3. I just left the SAME comment on your blog!!!

Comment by Administrator — January 26, 2006 @ 12:00 pm

4. Don’t talk to your Uncle Kent about how to handle this. He still turns on the waterworks everytime I leave.

Comment by Jennifer — January 26, 2006 @ 3:29 pm

5. Just wait, Capt. When JC left for boot, it was like a part of my soul had gone missing.

I know that there were 19 years inbetween holding him all red and yelling and watching him get into the recruiter’s car without a backwards glance. But it doesn’t seem like it.

The night before he left, he was out with his girl. Came in and just sat down on the floor by my chair. Didn’t say a word, just leaned against my leg and put his head on my knee. Everything spoken without a single sound.

It was him and me against the world since his dad died. I miss my partner in crime . So spend a little more time with the kids when they are young. They’ll be gone and away before you know it.

Comment by Karla — January 26, 2006 @ 3:50 pm

6. Same here with my 10 year old daughter. Seems the older she gets the less she wants to be around ole dad. I know it’s just part of growing up but it sucks. Thanks for the eyeball sweat everyone.

Beautiful daughter Captain, you have done well.

Semper Fi

Comment by Dan Johnson — January 26, 2006 @ 4:15 pm

7. I wish I had a dad like you. – Rhonda

Comment by Rhonda — January 26, 2006 @ 7:32 pm

8. Jennifer, I’ve heard. And I’ll be worse.

Comment by Administrator — January 26, 2006 @ 7:52 pm

9. Karla, I know you meant well, but ouch.

Comment by Administrator — January 26, 2006 @ 7:53 pm

10. Dan,

Carrie had something to do with it. I couldn’t have done it alone… quite literally.

Comment by Administrator — January 26, 2006 @ 7:54 pm

11. Rhonda,

Me too.

Comment by Administrator — January 26, 2006 @ 7:55 pm

12. I’m writing out these comments and when I submitted the one in response to Rhonda, I got this message:

“You can only submit comments every 15 seonds. Slow down, Cowboy.”

I swear, it said this.

Comment by Administrator — January 26, 2006 @ 7:56 pm

13. The Marine!Goth and I have a very special relationship. We never went through the ‘normal’ trials of teenager angst – the other angst was enough for both of us, I think. I didn’t mean for my comment to be an ‘ouch’. I just wanted to urge you to keep spending time one on one with the munchkins. I can not get over how FAST the time went.

I love having an adult child. There’s something very satisfying about seeing him as a competent person in his own work and world. (I wouldn’t trade the sight of him on the San Diego Parade Deck for anything.) But there are times I REALLY miss kid cuddles.

Comment by Karla — January 27, 2006 @ 4:34 pm

14. júlía heilsumarkþjálfi

How Did I Get Here? » Blog Archive » There She Goes

Trackback by júlía heilsumarkþjálfi — November 22, 2014 @ 7:50 pm

15. Ian Leaf

How Did I Get Here? » Blog Archive » There She Goes

Trackback by Ian Leaf — March 15, 2015 @ 2:55 pm

16. Foundation for Defense of Democracies

How Did I Get Here? » Blog Archive » There She Goes

Trackback by Foundation for Defense of Democracies — March 15, 2015 @ 6:08 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.